Author Topic: Could we have a section for non-tech stuff?  (Read 4373 times)

Arch

Could we have a section for non-tech stuff?
« on: October 13, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
Hello!

I'm glad to have joined up, looking forward to seeing the forum grow. I was wondering if there could be a section or sections devoted to less electronic stuff, as both Maker of Things and I are more into making, recycling and reusing non-electronic physical stuff...  We wouldn't want our bike luggage and doorknobs to get in the way of the Knightrider cars and Deth-Ray cat toys...

(Assuming that this doesn't make us persona non grata! ;) )

Maker of Things

• @Maker_of_Things
Re: Could we have a section for non-tech stuff?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
Also a section for workshop equipment like lathes, mills, and forges that don't run on Arduino or RaspberryPi, where we can discuss drill sharpening and welding gas.

Not sure how techie or non techie a 3d Printer would be compared to a CNC mill though.... ;)
If it ain't broke, you're not hitting it hard enough!

nikki

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »
Hi both, and welcome - we're a very broad church here, so no worry about risking becoming persona non grata. (Unless you get mains electricity in the tea - we have very fixed views about that.)

First the easy bit:
I've made a 'forum requests' bit under the 'admin' category and will move this thread over there shortly.

The more tricksy bit:
Conversations about non-electrical physical stuff, bikes, doorknobs, lathes, mills and FIRE are all very much welcome, but I think the magic happens when they happen in the same space, rather than being segregated off into their own pigeon holes. That was the good thing about the series of Maker Nights we've just run, anyway - all different folks around the same table.

How that works in forum-land I'm not quite sure...

I was under the impression that you could post under the 'projects' category outside of the 'electronics' and 'microcontrollers' sections I'd set up. WRONG! My mistake, sorry about that.

I'll jiggle things around a bit, but I don't think I want to head down the route of naming all making disciplines, for that way lies much wailing and gnashing of teeth. There may, admittedly, be some moderate amounts of wailing/gnashing as we find an alternative that works, but lets use it, keep talking and see what we can come up with...

Please make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure your seat belt is securely fastened and all carry-on luggage is stowed underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins.... <turbulence light comes on>

Maker of Things

• @Maker_of_Things
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 06:07:45 PM »
That sounds fine.

Just wasn't sure if it was primarily electronics based.  Happy to be 'in the mix' to get the best advice and ideas flowing from all directions.

We can post there and see how it works out.  Should be fine.
 :)
If it ain't broke, you're not hitting it hard enough!

Arch

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
Brilliant, thanks. I quite agree about keeping a mix, I just wasn't sure if the sort of thing I do fitted in!

Also, sorry for joining up and straightaway making demands! ;)

nikki

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
Also, sorry for joining up and straightaway making demands! ;)

Absolutely no problem at all. Good to see you and Maker of Things making yourselves at home :)

Okay... remembered a blog post I wrote a few years ago. Have replaced nouns with verbs. Let's see how/if that works!